March 16, 2007

Top ten reasons why I shouldn't have picked BYU over Xavier:

10. They can't rebound!
9. They can't defend!
8. Austin Ainge shoots too much.
7. Rose shoots too little.
6. Plaisted can't make free throws.
5. Plaisted jumps on every pump fake.
4. Did I mention that they can't rebound?
3. Or defend?
2. Or that Austin Ainge shoots too much?
1. He's no Danny: Austin Ainge, after watching repeated highlights of BYU's 1982 win against Notre Dame, does his best daddy impersonation. Only Austin's version, unlike his father's baseline-to-baseline drive to win the game, ends with Austin driving into traffic, refusing to pass, falling to the ground, losing the ball, and watching time expire.

But, hey, they are far better than Utah. I'm pretty sure I could make Utah's team.

3 comments:

Ian said...

11. They are out of shape and, therefore, poop out down the stretch.
12. Because they are out of shape, they have to play zone occasionally, even when they get killed every time they go into a zone.
13. Trent Plainsted somehow got worse from his freshman to his sophomore year.
14. Trent Plaisted can't rebound, even when he is 3-4 inches taller than everyone else on the floor.

It was a very frustrating game. Xavier is a very good team, but I think BYU let them off the hook. Keena Young, however, is awesome.

Jayme said...

Ian:

I couldn't agree more. I kept hoping that Young and Rose would play a two-man, inside-outside game through the final stretch. Instead, Ainge tried to do it all himself. He just isn't that talented. For losing their point guard mid-season, BYU looked pretty good. I think Rose is a fine coach and that BYU will be good for a long time with him at the helm. If only Utah could have hired a coach of Rose's ability and charisma.

Elyse said...

I agree with both of you...Ainge suffers from the same disease that i get sometimes, namely, average skills that dont justify my arrogance. He is terrible and without his last name, i dont believe he plays on a team that makes the tourney. I am biased though since i hate him now for blaming the home floor for his loss to UNLV.

I wish i had seen your tourney bracket before it was too late...it would have been fun