June 04, 2006

Savannah Celebrity Sighting

Caveat: Don't worry, Jayme. This post will not be of the long-winded variety. (Yeah, right, I can hear him saying.) Well, at least not as long winded as yesterdays post.

I had my first bona fide celebrity sighting today. And what is better, if I could have picked any celebrity, this is the one that I would have chosen!!!

Today, I took a trolley tour of Savannah. I thought about just walking around, but the day was rumored to be hot and humid, and I never know how I am going to feel these days, so I opted for the tour. Besides, I figured that I would learn a lot more about the history of the city and its buildings if I went on the tour. The tour was actually much more informative and less cheesy than I expected.

I got off at stop "6 and a half," a new stop outside the Mansion at Forsyth Park, a "new" 5 star hotel (http://www.mansiononforsythpark.com/) in Savannah. I thought it sounded worth touring (unofficially, of course). I walked two blocks, rounded the corner, and who did I see not more than 3 or 5 feet in front of me??? Jennifer Garner. Ben Affleck. Baby Violet. I was starstruck. Seriously. It really surprised me. Sure, I enjoy People magazine while Jayme stands in the grocery checkout line as much as the next girl, but I didn't think I would ever be starstruck. I kind of gasped, stared, tried to be really inconspicous (I don't think it worked.) I had heard that Casey Affleck got married yesterday in Savannah, but didn't actually expect to see anyone famous. I would have taken a picture, except that there were only four of us out there, it would have been really obvious, I was too embarassed, and I thought that at any minute a big burly body guard would jump out of the shadows and demand my camera, so I pulled it together and went inside. They put something in their black range rover (I have since learned they have a house in Savannah--good old internet research) and then went back into the hotel--of course, I stared as they walked by.

I laughed pretty hard afterwards when I remembered exactly what I had been thinking:

  • Oh my goodness, what am I wearing? Wait, they don't care what I am wearing.
  • I really wanted to say hi to Jennifer Garner--because I had watched so many Alias episodes, I felt like I knew her. Duh--I had to remind myself that I actually didn't know her and that Sydney Bristow was not standing in front of me.
  • Ben Affleck is cuter in person.
  • Oh my gosh, she has wet hair. And dark jeans. She looks like she did exactly what I did--got up, showered, put on a little makeup, and went about her day.
  • What an adorable baby!

So, there it is, my first celebrity sighting. As a side note, I also saw Liv Tyler (there for the wedding, I would assume), and her husband (his name is Royston Langdon. I had to look it up.) I guess Liv and Casey just made a movie together--Lonesome Jim. They were sitting at a table with about 7 other people, who looked slightly familiar. I kept thinking that I should probably recognize them, but I was still in shock about Jen and Ben. Oh yeah, and Liv had wet hair too. I'm sort of sad I didn't take a picture, but go to any stakkerazzi site and you will see similar ones. It was a great day! P.S. Casey Affleck married Summer Phoenix, sibling to the other famous Phoenix's. They have a son named Indiana August. Makes Violet seem like great name!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayme's first comment after reading it: Great--Savannah Celebrity Sighting on my blog. I never thought my blog would come to this.

Anonymous said...

Jayme's first comment after reading this: Great. I never thought I would have a "Celebrity Sighting" on my blog. I didn't know my blog would ever come to this."

Anonymous said...

You know you LOVE it! I can't believe that Jennifer Garner is related to the Phenoxes. Do you think Joaquin was at the wedding??

Ian said...

Wow! You were mere feet away from Bennifer, vol. 2, and baby Violet! I hear they are so happy.

Judd and I stood next to Jonny Knoxville and his daughter in the security line at LAX a few weeks ago (my thoughts: 'does he know everyone is staring at him and whispering to their neighbor that it is Jonny Knoxvill'). But I think it would be cooler to see Bennifer. Did I hear he is thinking about running for political office?