June 03, 2006

Katie's Ravishing Radishes

Let me introduce my guest blogger--my wife Katie. She wanted to title this entry "My Garden is More Prolific than Yours." But, since this is my blog and she is my guest, this entry is called "Ravishing Radishes." Ravishing for her and Radishes for her harvest.

It all started with a trip to buy pots at Campbell & Ferrara Nursery in Alexandria, my favorite nursery (http://campbellferrara.com/). (It truly started when I protested not owning a house with a yard by trying to fill every square inch of our balcony with plants. Katie's involvement started with our trip to Campbell & Ferrara.) Katie helped me pick a bright orange pot. Then she selected some purple and yellow exotic-looking flowers for that pot. Then she bought cucumber plants, followed by radish seeds, gerber daisies, bean seeds, petunias, and a vinca. Yes, her plants now rival mine. And they're winning!!

Today Katie harvested the first fruits (vegetables, really, but the term "first fruits" sounds more authoritative, in a biblical sense)--two radishes. They aren't the biggest radishes, but they are radishes, they are ripe, they are edible, and they are the "first fruits" of our. . . er. . . Katie's labor. So, without any further ado, here's ravishing Katie (and her radishes):



Katie will be writing about food from Savannah, Georgia. She is a talented writer and promised to eat lots of first-class southern fare at places like Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons (http://www.ladyandsons.com/), and Wall's Bar B Que (http://www.rachaelraymag.com/content/20247/).

Enjoy!

No comments: