April 17, 2006

Book Event: Arlington Library Book Sale

Its that time again. . . the semi-annual Arlington Library Book Sale.

When: Friday, April 29, 2006, at 9:00 a.m. (arrive early)
Where: Arlington Central Library
Why? Cheap books, lots of cheap books.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Libraries/Documents/46210406%20sale%20flyer.pdf

I learned of the Book Sale from a co-worker. He told me about it last fall, and kindly instructed me to arrive early and to bring bags for my books. He wasn't kidding. The book sale is organized and staffed by the friends of the arlington library. They close off an entire level of the parking garage and fill it with books, all kinds of books. Last year I bought cookbooks, contemporary fiction, non fiction, classic literature. Most books are $1 to $3. Some were $4 or $5.

At $1/book I can afford to dabble. Last year I bought expensive cookbooks for 1/10 their original cost. I bought books by unknown (to me) authors. I bought several classics, some in wonderful hardcover editions (Twain, London, Poe). I bought books for my dad, books for my mom. I drove home and picked up Katie, then we bought some more. We bought and bought and bought $100 in $1 to $3 books.

This year will not be as fun. I have received strict instructions from my wife: I can only buy books in equal amount to the number of books I eliminate from our shelves. Yikes!! This is a tough mandate for me. Who do I cut? What do I get rid of? I will let you know.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Jayme, I felt right at home in your apartment surrounded by books. Good luck with the elimination :). Fortunately there is plenty of shelf space at Grandmas. However, when we move out we might need to "cut back" ourselves.

Anonymous said...

What a mean wife you have! Getting rid of books to make room for a baby. I am embarassed that you actually told people we bought so many books. I have read almost all of the ones I bought, and passed them on to other readers, so that makes me happy. What about you?

Anonymous said...

Spouses making suggestions about personal libraries is a sensitive thing. Katie and I had one of our first "disagreements" about our bookshelves. After I spent hours unpacking all of our books and organizing them into categories based on their time periods and national origin, Katie suggested that it would be much better to organize them by color and size! Shocking! Fortunately, Katie allowed me to keep my system and has now seen its benefits.

Anonymous said...

SUCCESS I am really enjoying my new book, 5 quarters of the orange, although I can tell it is a depressing book. I'm excited to read Wicked, and of course, excited to read all of the great new kids books to Baby Blakesley. Yippee!

Anonymous said...

I loved that book. You should read it jayme, there is a giant truffle involved and excellent cooking!

You can't have too many books in nyc or your roommates will get mad.

Jayme said...

All the more reason to ship certain British titles to your brother in VA.

Chris Blakesley 1 said...

This was our beloved library, when we lived in D.C. (Arlington, Va.). In fact, Chantalle and I were walking to our car from a Saturday morning at the library, when our disaster hit. You all know the story, but I love and hate that library .... Actually, now I just love it, for Chantalle has been made whole and I am kinda whole after the awful ordeal. It is a fine library. I'd love to go back, but don't know whether I could take it.

Thanks for the post

Salop-Man